Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Top Films I've seen in 2011...so far

From a Philadelphia indie film to a big Sci-Fi blockbuster and everything in between.  Old and new movies, that I've discovered in 2011. These are some of the most awesome movies I've seen, this year.  Here they are in no particular order. Enjoy!

SUPER 8

I was sooooo excited for this film, that I went to the movies all by myself(the first time EVER!).  You really can't go wrong with J. J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg.  Super 8 was that movie that I needed, at the time and it didn't disappoint.  Five minutes into the movie and I wasn't worried about being in the theatre with no friend or significant other, anymore.  It's a feel good movie for all ages.  "Must see", in my book.

"Super 8" will be available for DVD & Blu-Ray disc on November 22, 2011.

EMILY IN THE A.M.
photo courtesy of Wide Eyed Pictures

Emily in the A.M. is feature short from Philly-based production company, Wide Eyed Pictures. Directed by Daniel Brown and written by Kate McMeans.  It was an official selection of New Filmmakers, NY and The Philadelphia Filmathon.  Recently, they won Honorable Mention at the Ventura Film Festival!

It's Emily's first night in a big city and she just wanted to spend it with her fiance(the reason she moved to the big city).  It didn't turn out that way.  Emily in the AM, takes you on a stunning journey throughout Philadelphia, meeting new and interesting people.  Emily discovers the highs and the ultimate lows in that one night out.  Love found.  Love lost. I enjoyed the journey, thoroughly.  The film took me right into Emily's world. Kudos, to Daniel, Kate and the whole "Emily" crew!


"Emily in the AM" is available to buy at Amazon and Createspace. For more on the film go to the official site: Emily in the AM

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN

There really are no words for the awesomeness of "Hobo".  Funny. Unnecessary but fabulous gore. Rutger Hauer.



CHERRY

Kyle Gallner(I <3 him), plays a 17-year old Ivy League freshman who falls in love with an older woman.  That's not all.  When said older woman invites him over for dinner, he meets her cute, feisty 14-year old daughter. Yep, she soon develops a crush on him even though he's in love with her mother, who only has "friendly" feelings for him.  In turn, he starts to have feelings for both! It's a cute movie.  I liked it enough to have seen it three times.


THE BROKEN

The Broken definitely scared the shit out of me.  It was one of THOSE movies, for me.  The film deals with mirrors, doppelganger's and nightmares.  Think, doppelganger takes over your life unbeknownst to family and friends.  Oh, but there's a car accident that happens and is the key to the twist at the end.  Good stuff.



RUBBER

This movie is out of control, in a good way.  Throughout the film, I pretty much had my mouth open.  You wouldn't think a tire can do much.  "Rubber" proves you wrong.  Magnificent.  Plus, Mr. Oizo(aka Quentin Dupieux) did the soundtrack.  Awwwwwwwwwwesome.


SESSION 9

This psychological thriller had me all over the place.  It was like hitting a brick wall at every turn.  Twists and turns. The moment I started putting the pieces together, I broke out in goosebumps.


I shall continue by listing the rest of the movies linked to a trailer:

Shutter (Original J-Horror)

I've seen a lot more.  I just wasn't impressed by some movies.  So, they didn't make the cut.  I'm sure I'm forgetting movies, too :(

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...